Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Alexandria, VA is seeking a part-time organist to accompany weekly Sunday morning service. This part-time position is approximately 12 hours per week under the direction of the Lead Pastor.
• Provide organ and/or piano music for Sunday worship service to include but not limited to accompanying all congregational singing of hymns, choral anthems, and additional service music.
• Accompany adult choirs under the direction of the Director of Adult Choirs for rehearsal and Sunday worship service.
• In addition to Sundays, accompany seasonal worship services and rehearsals such as Holy Week, Easter, Advent, and Christmas.
• Engage substitute organist/accompanist, as required, in consultation with the Director of Adult Choirs.
• Schedule periodic maintenance and tuning of Casavant Pipe organ and pianos.
• Plan and provide organ and/or piano service music and hymn suggestions in coordination with the planned sermon series.
• Attend periodic ministry area staff meetings.
Aldersgate UMC proudly maintains a 2000 Casavant organ. It is the 3,794th instrument built by the Casavant Brother’s Factory and features 25 stopes, 30 ranks, and 1796 pipes.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of references by July 20 to the Aldersgate Staff Parish Relations team via firstname.lastname@example.org. Video or audio samples are welcome but not required.
MUSIC DIRECTOR VACANCY
Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Alexandria, VA is seeking a part-time Music Director to develop and lead and grow the Adult Choir and Handbell Choir. This part-time position is 20-25 hours per week under the direction of the Lead Pastor.
• Plan, administer, rehearse, and conduct adult choir and handbell ringers in worship
• Participate in the creative planning selection of music for Sunday and special services with Pastors and music staff. Attend weekly worship planning and bi-monthly staffmeetings.
• Supervise the part-time Organist and the Director of Children ’s Music. Assist the children ’s music ministry as needed.
• Recruit/rehearse/conduct the Aldersgate Festival Singers, a larger ensemble which only sings for special services (e.g., Christmas and Easter) and major choral works.
• Hire, manage, and rehearse soloists, accompanists, and instrumentalists as needed for services and events.
• Manage copyright licenses for choral and bell presentations and report usage as required.
• Maintain the Choral and Handbell library.
• Schedule maintenance and/or purchase of items needed for choirs as well as scheduling maintenance/repair of handbells.
• Work with the pastors, administrative staff, and music staff members in designing, submitting, and managing an annual budget for the music ministry.
Candidate qualifications should include:
• Experience directing adult choirs.
• Experience directing and/or ringing handbells.
• Available for evening rehearsal(s) and Sunday morning worship.
• Ability to lead and motivate Volunteers.
• Bachelor’s degree in Music.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, video samples, and list of references by August 4 to the Aldersgate Staff Parish Relations team via email@example.com.